Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Homegrown Omelet

I love the eggs Boo-boo gives us.  I use them for everything that calls for eggs.  (But I can't wait to have more girls laying, since Boo-boo can only lay one egg every 26-28 hours.)  

After making French toast, I usually cook up the eggs and divide them amongst the toast-eaters.  But lately, I've been cooking them for the chickens.  I'll go into the details of that on a Feathered Friday, but for now, suffice it to say that I add fresh herbs and honey to their eggs.

The smell of herbed eggs cooking is delectable, and it made me want to make an omelet for myself using my fresh herbs.

So here is how I made a delicious omelet using Boo-boo fresh eggs and herbs from my garden.


Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp milk
2 large basil leaves (finely chopped)
1/4 tsp dill (dried)
1/8 tsp oregano (dried)
2 sausage links (cooked & finely chopped) or 1/4 cup ham (cooked & finely chopped)
3/4 cup shredded cheese (pick your favorite)

Procedure:

In a small (think cereal) bowl, beat eggs and milk together until well mixed.  I use whole milk, but any unsweetened milk would work just as well.














Add basil, dill, and oregano and mix well.  I used dried dill and oregano because I didn't have fresh available, but the rule of thumb is 1:2, dried to fresh.  (In other words, use twice the amount of fresh herbs as dried.)  I used my six-blade herb scissors to mince the basil.  You can use a chopper (such as I used with the sausage), but basil has a high water content and can be difficult to chop with a chopper.




Add 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.  I use prepackaged shredded cheese.  I know there are arguments against this, but the convenience and cost make it more practical for me.

















Add sausage (or ham) and mix well.
















Grease a small frying pan with oil.  Any oil will work--even butter.  Even with non-stick pans, you'll need the slick barrier to keep the eggs from sticking and ruining your flip.


Pour egg mixture into the pan & cover.
















Cook on low to medium heat about 10 minutes, or until the eggs begin to solidify on top.
















Flip egg patty over and cover with remaining shredded cheese.  I love cheese, so the more the merrier, but you should use the amount you are comfortable with, of course.
















Cover, and cook on low another 2-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Slide onto a plate and enjoy!



Please tell me how you would alter this to your own tastes in the comments below.

If you like the Pampered Chef products you see in the pictures, please contact my fabulous consultant Marian Malone through her website!  I love my Pampered Chef stuff!


Happy Munching!  

No comments:

Post a Comment