Friday, July 25, 2014

Feathered Friday: Chicken Coop Pop Door

There are some egg-citing things going on here at the homestead.  And each will have its day, but today I want to brag about my pop door the incredible man who built it for me.  (That's my husband, of course.)

This door was thought up by me and my meanderings online looking at why others had done, but my husband made it happen far better than I ever dreamed.  

After much measuring, and four pilot holes, the first cut was made.  This was such an thrilling event for me, I took like twenty pictures!  But I'll spare you the monotony. 


First Cut!

The cut panel was removed, and Bug measured to make sure Daddy got it right.  




The opening is 20" high from the bottom 2x4 frame, and goes from stud to stud.  The piece at the bottom where the wood was exposed was cut off the door and nailed back in place, as you will see.

The intention was for the door to slide up to open, so Tom built a track.  He started with wooden tomato stakes, nailing them in the corner against the outside wall and a stud.  Then he cut a piece to close the gap that would be at the top of the door.  


Wooden Tomato Stake Track Frame

We used tomato stakes because we had them, and they were the perfect size.  We cut them to 45", which is just over twice the door height.

The inner part of the frame was done with a composite lumber, making it weather proof.  The pieces are nailed to the studs and floor 2x4, leaving a space slightly wider than the door to allow for expansion and smooth movement.


Completed Track

The bottom of the frame on the outside was also made using the composite material.  Here, it's important to note that the pop door should have something at the bottom to prevent grubby raccoon fingers from prying it open.  My door has a slot at the bottom that it fits into, effectively thwarting those pesky predators.  (The support frame of the door, as seen above, also makes it pretty heavy, so I don't think they'd be able to lift it even if there wasn't that protective track at the bottom.  But you shouldn't rely on that.  Blocking the bottom is the best way to keep predators out of the pop door.)


Composite Lip for Bottom of Door
A good shot of the complete door frame

Once the door had a supporting frame, an eye screw was added to the top and a rope tied on.  Tom drilled a hole through the header boards to run the rope up to a pulley above.  


Pull Rope from Door to Pulley Above
The rope was then run diagonally toward the entry door, where it runs through another pulley and then hangs down the wall.  


Rope Across Ceiling and Down Wall by Entry Door
After measuring the where the rope would be when the door was open and closed, Tom screwed a 2x4 cross beam between the studs.  Using another eye screw and a clip, the pop door is able to be securely held open.


Cross Beam & Rope Holding Pop Door Open
I'm sure you can see the bright green color of the rope.  I wanted it that way so it will be easily visible in case of a power outage on a dark day.

As an aesthetically pleasing touch, and also to keep rain away from the door a bit, my wonderful husband built a little roof using the composite. 





















This door is incredibly engineered, and I couldn't be happier with the results!


Have questions about this build?  Ask below!

This post is part of The Chicken Chick's Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Thanks for linking up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! Hope to see you again next week!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! The Chicken Chick commented on my blog!

      Thanks for the compliment!

      ~Jamie
      The Sheepish Gardener

      Delete