Friday, May 30, 2014

Feathered Friday (Fuzzy Butts)

I was all set to post pictures of my 3-week old chicks today, but then we got some fluffy girls in the mail.  Now all the chicks I ordered--and those I just picked up out of inability to resist--are here.  

It's so much fun watching them grow.  And they grow so fast!

Black Australorp chicks at arrival


These little girls are so cute!  Look how she's smiling.  I love the yellow tips on their black beaks.


And don't forget those fluffy white bums!  

Once the new littles had a chance to get a drink and find the food, I put the big littles back in with them.  I read (somewhere) that at this age they can be integrated safely, without worry of hierarchy issues.  (If I had the other tank available I would have put a divider between them to start, so the little littles would be too overwhelmed.)

However, the big girls, and even little roo James, were very accepting of them.  Within minutes, they were displaying mothering behavior like huddling in front of the new girls under the EcoGlow and guiding them to the food and water.

The new chicks are so much smaller than the others, even though only 3 weeks apart in age.

My Buff Orpingtons have me a bit perplexed in that Pumpkin is almost twice the size of Toot and Buffy.  Still, she is feathering out at the same rate as the two smaller girls.  The pictures below show the difference between them.

Pumpkin, Toot, & Buffy
Buff Orpington Hens


Pumpkin, Toot, & Buffy
Buff Orpington Hens




 Grow babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment