Thursday, September 11, 2014

Roasted Rosemary Almonds

I'm not all that creative when it does to supplementing one ingredient for another in a recipe.  It takes me a few times making it before I'll get creative.  Unless I'm missing something, then it's no holds barred.  I guess this comes from wanting to know what the original tastes like before I go changing things around.

Those who are familiar with my now-5year-old (gasp!) son probably recall that he seems to be a self-made vegetarian.  Well, fruit- and carb-etarian might be more accurate.  He will eat meat, but only junk food tip meat, like hot dogs or chicken nuggets.  While he used to eat eggs, he has since turned his nose up at that healthy source of protein we now grow in our backyard.  The only other source of protein he will eat willingly is nuts.

And, boy, does that kid love his nuts.  

I'm not thrilled about him eating too many salted nuts, but he prefers them that way.  He is particularly fond of cashews, pistachios, and almonds.  (Yes, he has expensive taste.)  So, when my aunt in New Mexico shared her Roasted Rosemary Almonds recipe, I was intrigued.  My only concern was the added spice of the red pepper.

But, the Bug Boy surprises me sometimes.  He prefers spicy taco meat, but only sometimes.  

I lost track of the recipe through the months, but in June we had a huge family reunion in Duck, NC, on the Outer Banks.  (A much needed trip that was fulfilling in so many ways.)  

On the kitchen island in our house sat a bowl of almonds.  When Bug saw them, he dug his little fingers in and came out with a handful which he strolled over to the table with and proceeded to eat them all before asking for more.  

I asked my Aunt Jill if they were her Rosemary Almonds, and she confirmed that they were.  So I popped one in my mouth.  (Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs.)  I have never had nuts that tasted so good.  And the little kick from the red pepper was the perfect touch.

The fact that Bug loved them so much was a pleasant surprise.

So this week, I bought the few ingredients I needed and made some to pack in his school lunch.  (I'm still getting used to that.) They were super easy to make, and when I did a taste test while they were still warm I about melted in ecstasy.  They were better warm!

So, I thought I'd share the recipe and hope Aunt Jill is okay with it.  I find it humorously ironic that I chose a bowl I got from my grandparents to make their daughter's recipe.  (I didn't make that connection unit I was looking at the picture.)


Roasted Rosemary Almonds
   Ingredients:
  • 4 cups raw, whole almonds
  • 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 c olive oil
   How to:
  • Preheat oven to 400.  Spread almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and roast for 10 minutes, or until popping and smoking.  (Note:  Check on the nuts often, as it can be easy to overcook them.)
  • While the nuts are roasting, mix the remaining ingredients in a large (heat-safe) bowl.
  • When nuts are finished roasting, add them to the bowl with the spice blend and toss until covered.
  • Allow to cool, tossing every once in a while.

Enjoy!

Credit for this recipe goes to Jill Waugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment