Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Waiting Continues. . .

. . . But plans are in place to redistribute the plantings this year.  

The crop will be a little later than anticipated, but thanks to my strawberries arriving in a plastic bag and covered in mold, I will be utilizing that plot for my tomatoes.  The cucumbers and winter squash will be moved into pots.  Hopefully with some sort of trellis to hang onto.  

At this point I am also unsure of the raspberries.  I have hundreds of purdy white flowers preparing to provide me with sweet juicy fruits, but whether they get to that point before they are torn from the earth has yet to be determined.


Never fear, however.  I will be replacing these wild fruits with a seedless variety next year.  The placement has to move, as they are a thicket of brambles about ten feet long, by five feet wide, by four feet high in an area nestled between our driveway, walkway, and deck.  You see, I don't do flower gardening.  It's just not my thing.  I want to get a viable product from my garden that will help me save some green and put food I know is healthy on my family's plates.  

The raspberries are wild.  Planted by some passing bird or small rodent in a bed that was intended (by the previous owners) to be a flower bed.  While I love their flavor and proximity to the back door, the once-garden space where they have taken up residence has become an over-grown jungle of weeds--raspberries included--and Rose of Sharon bushes.  And let's be honest, most of those bushes are weeds, too.  

So, while my garden won't be as big and luxurious--or perhaps junglefied is a better "word"--I will  still have my produce.  I will  have my beloved tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans.  And you better believe I'll have my gourds.  I just have to finagle around to get what I want.  And I'll have to go without others, like maybe my summer squash, this year.


How is your garden coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment