Monday, March 4, 2013

Spring's Teasing Breath. . .

This girl is certainly glad that Father Winter decided to give us a halfway decent season this year.  And I'm hoping that he'll bring us at least one more snow.  In fact, they're calling for another batch of white stuff this Wednesday.  However, the signs of Spring approaching can't be ignored.  

The birds in the area are beginning to do their usual springtime routines.  And, while the air still nips bare skin, Gaia shows her promise of rebirth and reawakening through the icy fingers of Father Winter's frosty breath.  If you look around you will see the twisting leaves of the daffodils pushing through to the (still-sparse) sunshine.  Alongside them are the green needles that frame the purple, white, and orangish-yellow buds of the crocuses vying for their share of warmth and light.  (Crocuses are one of my favorite spring flowers.)


Daffodil buds
Crocus blooms of mixed color

Yellow Crocus buds




















Catnip 
On my deck, hidden among last year's stems that should've been cut back for the winter but weren't, some of my potted herbs are greening out again.  The catnip has a thick little bush of new leaves bunched against the soil.  The Greek oregano, while not nearly as proliferous as the catnip yet, also has some tiny green leaves braving the still-cold air.  Of my 5 varieties of mint, 2 are starting to produce again--my Peppermint and Orange Mint.  


Greek Oregano






Since the old dead stems from last season create a sort of protection for the new growth, I have decided to leave them intact until the weather is consistently warmer.  I can't wait to see how many pots will sprout the German Chamomile.  It's been trying to grow in different pots all winter.




Tiny Peppermint

















Tiny Orange Mint























Last week my broccoli seeds arrived.  I'm going to start them inside in newspaper planters.  Broccoli is more of a cold weather crop, along with onions and lettuce, so I'm hoping to get a good harvest before the vines take over again.  And once the cucumbers are done, I should be able to plant another batch.






The next post will be all about gourd crafting.  Until then, enjoy what Father Winter has left.  

Happy garden prepping!






No comments:

Post a Comment